Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We had a fun St. Patrick's day. Our "leprechaun" who visits every year came again this year. He left his traditional green breakfast: green scrambled eggs, green yogurt, toast with green butter, and green milk. The "leprechaun" has been coming for years, but the kids still get so excited for it!


I was able to go to Kaden's class and help with his St. Patrick's Day party. That was really fun; I always love to help in the classrooms! I wanted to have a fun St. Patty's treat for the kids when they got home from school so I made homemade donuts with a glaze that I colored green. In keeping with the days theme instead of a regular hole in the donut I did a shamrock instead. This was my first attempt at donuts and I thought they turned out pretty good.

Then to finish off our day of green I made a traditional Irish dinner--corned beef with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. Growing up, I remember my mom making that every St. Patrick's Day and I just loved it. I have actually never made it for my kids, this was my first time. It was SUPER easy and SO yummy!

But the highlight of my day was after the kids got home from school. I was going through their school work and found a shamrock that Kaden had made. They had to write about what they would do if they found a pot of gold. This is what he wrote: "If I went down on a hill and went to the end of a rainbow and found a pot of gold I would get poor people a house, get them each a jacket, and I would give them half of my gold." That just warmed my heart! I really expected it to say something like he would buy all the wii games he ever wanted! Glad to know my sweet, sensitive, caring boy is still in there.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

That little Kaden is too sweet. What a GREAT mom you are-doing all that fun St. Patrick's Day stuff. Homemade donuts?! Seriously, you are such a fun mom. Unfortunately, I didn't think of doing that kind-of fun stuff until the actual day and wasn't at all prepared. You'll have to give me some tips for next year.

Brittany said...

you are such a fun mom!! your traditions remind me of growing up - I want to have that same leprechaun visit our house too! :) those donuts look so good! I love the shamrock too!