Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Little Criminal



A couple weeks ago we were out back doing some yard work after dinner. Andy and I were up on top of our rock wall pulling the weeds and the kids were down below on the grass just playing around. Ethan had been playing with his toys and just crawling around exploring. After a while, Ethan found our phone that I had set out on the steps. He LOVES the phone and began pushing all sorts of buttons. I let him go ahead and play, he does it all the time. While playing with the phone he happened to hit a button that transfers one phone to our other phone. It makes a beeping noise and won't stop until you either pick up the other phone or turn it off on the actual phone beeping. So I climbed down and turned it off. As soon as I did that the phone rang. It came up with some weird ID that I didn't recognize. I almost didn't answer, but decided to. Boy was I surprised when the lady identified herself as a dispatcher for 911 and said that a 911 call had been placed from our house and they were calling to see if everything was all right. I told her that my baby had been playing with the phone and he must have dialed it. I apologized and hung up. Neither Andy or I could believe that Ethan had done that. What are the chances that he would dial those exact numbers in that exact order. Crazy, but unfortunately not the end of the story. After I had hung up with the dispatcher Andy commented that it was a good thing that I had answered or else they would have sent an officer out to check on things. Well, to top things off a few minutes later there was a police officer in our backyard. He had come to make sure everything was okay. Luckily he was very understanding and even offered to help with the yard work! Let's just say that Ethan no longer plays with the phone!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

That is too funny! By the way Becca was just looking at Ethans picture and said "Wow, he sure is a fast grower!" :)

Jodi said...

Ha! At least it is good to know that the police are thorough :) That is really funny!

Jenna said...

I love that story. He is looking too old in those pictures. He is growing up way too fast and is obviously wise beyond his years.

Jill said...

Congrats to Cassie for the award! What a smartie pants! Love the air hockey table, we are doing the exact same thing in our basement right now. I'm glad that other people are using their basements for big toys even if they're not finished like ours, I swear my poor kids have to go down to an unfinished basement everytime they want to play now. Oh well right? Love the 911 story.

Kelly said...

Linda, Elly did that too, but we didn't have any warning until the police showed up at our door. It was really embarrassing because Kev and I were still trying to sleep and she was with us on our bed playing with the phone. I love looking out the window in my nightie when the door bell rings at 6:00 on a Saturday morning and it is the cops!